Thursday, January 1, 2009

Black Bean Chili

So from yesterday's beans, I added some stuff to them to make them more hearty and also a vegetarian meal. I like to eat vegetarian occasionally, even though I am a professed carnivore, because it's cheaper and better for the environment. My husband doesn't always agree with that, exclaiming when it's dinner time, "There's no meat in this?!"

Anyway, you should try making it. Meat or not, it's still pretty good.

Black Bean Chili (adapted from my standard chili recipe).
*4 cups cooked black beans
*1 14oz can petite diced tomatoes
*1 yellow onion, diced
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*2 tablespoons chili powder
*1 teaspoon cumin
*dash red pepper flakes
*1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

You can saute the onions and garlic if you want prior to throwing everything together in the saucepan and simmering until heated through. It's tastier the longer you let it simmer though, so I recommend an hour at least.

Mmmm everyone loved it. And my husband added leftover carnitas on the top because there was no meat in it.

No comments: